Cala-Lily

Random thoughts, reactions and ruminations of a liberal, independent woman, frequent traveler and librarian. Favorite flower: cala lily.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

UH Manoa Library School Graduate & proud Douglass alumna!!

Monday, November 06, 2006

Viva Las Vegas

Last month I met Marta, one of my UH LIS alumna buds (now working in so. CA), and two of her old college friends for a girls weekend in Vegas to celebrate a milestone birthday (hers, not mine). We had a blast! Marta was a real sport too.

I'm generally not big on Vegas -- I'd rather see the real thing (Venice, Paris, Rome, Egypt, Southeast Asia, etc...). And I still don't get why locals in Hawaii flock to Vegas for vacation. But it is a great place to party once in awhile, and it's relatively easy/ cheap to get there. Going to Vegas for a weekend is not a big deal. All the other places require at least a week and a lot more money!

I had a promotional offer so I stayed at the Venetian, and it's still my favorite. And I'm happy to say their Grand Lux Cafe is still reliably up to par.

Vegas is nevertheless a surreal place. I guess that's what makes it a great place to play and forget real life. You never know what time it is, which actually works pretty well for a night owl like me. I like the idea of not being fettered to the clock and of being able to sit down to eat whenever we damn well pleased!!! And it does get you into the party spirit pretty well. When in Vegas....suffice it to say that by the end of the trip we had each adopted alternate "Vegas" identities and changed our names accordingly. :-)

On top of that, my good friend Judy found out a piano player/singer she and I had met on a cruise about 10 years earlier was going to be playing at the Luxor, so I dragged our little posse to check him out too. Tony Payne -- he sounds better than ever! Playing Friday and Saturday nights at the Luxor.

But I couldn't imagine living in Vegas, or even being there for more than 3 days. Everything is SO FAKE! I think that over the past 30 years or so, I must have gone 5 or 6 times, but never for more than 3 nights. And once you get outside the Strip area, there is .... NOTHING but desert.

You can see us having fun here: Vegas Pictures

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home