Cala-Lily

Random thoughts, reactions and ruminations of a liberal, independent woman, frequent traveler and librarian. Favorite flower: cala lily.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

UH Manoa Library School Graduate & proud Douglass alumna!!

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Discovering What's in Your Own Back Yard

I love discovering NJ treasures! I've lived in NJ since I was 4 and until late this summer, I never even knew Doris Duke had had a residence (her principal legal residence) in NJ.

As an avid traveler and sightseer, I had ferreted out and visited her home in Hawaii a few months after it opened to the public. Later as a student at UH, I was lucky enough to get a behind the scenes visit as well. I've since recommended it to anyone visiting Honolulu.

One of those friends eventually led me to Duke Farms in NJ. She gave my good friend and traveling buddy Judy a gift certificate to Duke Farms for her birthday -- and I was the lucky tag-along! The real highlight is the Indoor Gardens, open Sept.-May. We took some pictures during the Garden Tour. I want to go again and recommend it to anyone in the area. Note that you do need reservations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home