Cala-Lily

Random thoughts, reactions and ruminations of a liberal, independent woman, frequent traveler and librarian. Favorite flower: cala lily.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

UH Manoa Library School Graduate & proud Douglass alumna!!

Monday, November 27, 2006

Rationalization...

The theme of this post is consumer consumption and how I am justifying my current purchases and reconciling them with my continuing state of unemployment. *sigh*

I've been having such fun with flickr, that I realized it made sense to get a digital camera. I mean this way, I could save the cost of film, developing and the CD I had them make for me so I could upload the pictures. Plus the price of digital cameras has come WAY down. I utilized my librarian research skills [not to mention some advice from CaffeineAddict ;-) ] to ferret out the best value. Turned out to be a Canon A540 from amazon.com for $176 -- that equates to developing costs plus film for about 12 rolls. Makes sense, yes?

Of course, now I'm feeling guilty so I am refusing to open the camera box until I a) send out at least 3 more resumes and b) read the manual! Hopefully, that will be before I go to Honolulu on Dec. 5th for a short visit. Oh, yeah, Honolulu....so how do I rationalize that one? Well, my friend (from NY) was able to get U2 tix for the Dec. 9th concert at Aloha stadium and she twisted my arm (NOT!). The airfare was quite reasonable and I am able to use timeshare for accommodation. Makes sense, right? (In a strange twist of fate, I had been unable to get tix for their originally scheduled concert in April, which was later canceled....so I figure there's an element of fate or something working for me. I am meant to go!)

In the meantime, my 15 year old TV is on its last legs -- most of Law & Order is too dark to see anything but shadows...Anything I videotape is barely watchable. And Costco.com had this great deal on a bottom of the line 32" LCD -- $599 after rebate (plus tax), delivered to my door. Considering they cost from about $900 and up, I'm actually saving lots of money, right?

And then, I got my tax refund from Hawaii which will pay for the camera (we don't count the federal taxes I had to pay....). Yay! Am I still making sense?

So today, I finally took that little gecko up on his offer, and lo and behold, saved nearly $500 on my 6-month car insurance. Hey, those commercials are no bull -- at least not in NJ (or more likely, I've been overpaying a hell of a lot to the other company the past couple of years). So I figure over the course of a year, that would pay for at least the trip to Hawaii. :-D (Never mind the mountain of debt on my credit cards and my student loans....which reminds me that I put everything on my Amex so I earn points! Yes!!)

Plus I almost never eat out and haven't bought a book in six months (don't worry, I've read lots, but get them from the library, of course!) So who knows how much I'm saving on those two things alone! Sounds logical, right? And I haven't even replaced the broken dishwasher, the loud refrigerator or the squeaky dryer, all of which are over 20 years old. ;-(

Rationalization over. I'm just glad I didn't put it on a spreadsheet and force it to balance. hahahahahaha!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha. Sounds about right, Lillian. Good rationalization. Just enjoy your new purchases! :-)

aggghh!! I hate you -- You are going back to Hawaii for the U2 concert!!! I had tix for the March show and was going to go with my sister, but had to sell both of my tickets to her since I moved out East before they could reschedule another show. Blah. I have been a big fan of them since I was 12/13 and have been waiting for 15 years to see them in concert. I always thought that once I moved to the "mainland" I would finally get to see them. But ironically, once I moved to the mainland, they decided to go to Hawaii! arrrgh!

HAVE FUN and let us know how it was!

11/27/2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger Teen Zone said...

You sound just like Brandon. While he convinced me to get rid of my credit cards, he has now acquired a few and keeps trying to get me to okay the purchase of many "on-sale" items that we really "need".

Enjoy Hawaii... wish I was going.

11/29/2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Lillian said...

Awww, c'mon...who else do you know that has a 15-year old TV and is still using a camera with film? The peer pressure is overwhelming. (hehe!)

11/29/2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger Dr. Drew said...

Hey L, don't knock film (when you want it). Yes, it is good to have a digital camera too. (Watch out Flickr!)

Have a safe trip. Be ready for cool weather at night... and maybe some rain (at least in Manoa).

Ciao

12/05/2006 7:03 AM  
Blogger Diane M. Wylie said...

Hmmm, that rationalization thing sounds like a tactic I have used many times myself. I don't see a problem with it! :o)

Enjoy!

12/07/2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home