Cala-Lily

Random thoughts, reactions and ruminations of a liberal, independent woman, frequent traveler and librarian. Favorite flower: cala lily.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

UH Manoa Library School Graduate & proud Douglass alumna!!

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Gilded Lily

In the spirit of the Oscar, the Grammy and so forth, I've decided to give out my own award which I call the "Gilded Lily." Categories are random....because it's my award and I can do what I want with it. ;-)

Best late night talk show host: Craig Ferguson (because he's hilarious and makes me laugh out loud). He's also written a hilarious book: Between the Bridge and the River.

Best daytime talk show host:
Ellen DeGeneres (because she's so down-to-earth and makes me laugh) Of course, this is the only daytime talk show I watch, although I do listen to the hot topics on The View more frequently now that Rosie is on...

Best new music album by an old boomer:
Modern Times by Bob Dylan (because it's awesome and you can actually understand the words this time)

Best collaboration between a pre-boomer dude and today's artists:
Tony Bennett Duets: An American Classic (because it makes me feel good)

Best new singer:
K. T. Tunstall (because she sounds different than anyone else and is mesmerizing)

Best new serial: The Adventures of Mooie (because I'm addicted to it) This was a tough category and
Javabell's photo diary runs a close second!

Best non-fiction book recently read:
Honor Killing by David E. Stannard (because it's an incredible story and it did more to explain ethnic and political relations in Hawaii than anything else I had read) Honorable mention to 1776 by David McCullough (because it was fascinating and it took place in my backyard)

Best new historical romance writer:
Diane Wylie, author of Secrets and Sacrifices (because she's a really good writer who incorporates lots of historical detail and features strong women protagonists) And, for full disclosure, she's also a really good friend of mine and we need to support new authors!

Best middle of the night TV: NBC's
Poker After Dark 2amEST (because it beats anything else on at that time of night)

And that's it for now folks. Good night and thanks for reading!

3 Comments:

Blogger lorianna said...

Mooie: "I'd like to thank the academy ..."

3/15/2007 4:52 AM  
Blogger Diane M. Wylie said...

Many thanks for the nod in the first annual Gilded Lily awards! I may have had a little insider influence on this one! LOL!

Seriously, though. I don't take Lillian's opinion lightly. The fact that she liked my most recent release, "Secrets and Sacrifices" means alot to me.

Check it out at http://www.dianewylie.com or on Amazon.com.

3/21/2007 12:57 PM  
Blogger Dr. Drew said...

Fun awards. Check my old blog for a bit more on the Massie case and the great book.

6/29/2007 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home